Tooth decay affects both children and adults, leading to uncomfortable symptoms, such as tooth sensitivity or toothaches, and increasing the risk of serious complications, such as dental infections. Despite the seriousness of this issue, tooth decay can be prevented with a focus on maintaining good oral hygiene.
Try Our Quiz on Avoiding Cavities
- True or False: The foods and drinks we consume can lead to tooth decay.
- True or False: You should brush your teeth for at least two minutes twice a day.
- True or False: Flossing is vital in cavity prevention.
- True or False: You need your teeth cleaned twice a year.
- True. Foods high in sugar and other starches, as well drinks containing sugar or highly acidic content, can weaken tooth enamel. Once the enamel erodes, bacteria can reach the inner layers of dentin, where a cavity can form.
- True. Brushing your teeth properly helps limit the amount of plaque buildup that accumulates on the teeth. You should always brush two times each day for two minutes per session. Proper brushing should reach every part of the tooth.
- True. Your toothbrush can’t reach between the teeth, where food particles can become trapped. To avoid decay, you should floss every day before going to sleep. Flossing removes food particles stuck between the teeth, in turn decreasing the chances of tooth decay and gingivitis developing.
- True. A cleaning is the only way to completely remove plaque and tartar form the surface of the teeth. Doing so helps keep your smile healthy, your teeth bright, your breath free of halitosis.
Visit Our Office in Baxter, MN!
Dr. Clinton L. Roberts and the friendly staff at Greenhaven Family Dental are happy to help you maintain a healthy and beautiful smile with a comprehensive approach to general dentistry. With years of training and experience in dental sleep medicine, Dr. Roberts is also adept at helping patients treat snoring and sleep apnea so they can rest more easily (and quietly). To learn more, or to schedule an appointment, call our office in Baxter, MN, today at (218) 454-0523. We proudly welcome patients from Brainerd, Little Falls, Staples, Crosby-Ironton-Deerwood, and all surrounding communities.